Monday, August 2, 2010

Gastroparesis and the like...

    I am currently in the process of studying and re-learning mathematics for my assessment exam coming up. I get to take the exam whenever I feel like it which is kinda nice but could also kill me as I am slightly terrified of taking this test and now have the opportunity to put it off. I am shooting for next Monday so I'll let you know how it goes.
    In other news, I am currently dealing with tummy troubles. They have been occurring for about 6 hours now and are beginning to frustrate. I thought I just ate too much but after an hour I figured there was more to this tummy story. My doctor ordered me a gastric emptying test (which is not scheduled yet as the flighty receptionist has not called me back) which tests for gastroparesis.
    Gastroparesis: Ordinarily, strong muscular contractions propel food through your digestive tract. But in gastroparesis, the muscles in the wall of your stomach work poorly or not at all. This prevents your stomach from emptying properly. Gastroparesis can interfere with digestion, cause nausea and vomiting, and play havoc with blood sugar levels and nutrition.
http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-126300/Gastroparesis?q=gastroparesis&qpvt=gastroparesis
    I have an appointment with my POTS doctor on the 11th. Her plan for the two weeks between appointments was for me to where my stockings everyday (they are a pain, not to mention a struggle to get on), drink 100-140 oz. of water per day (which has not happened yet but I am drinking about 95% more than I used to) and take a new prescription that is supposed to help ward off headaches as I get those almost daily (not too fond of pills but been doing well so far). By far the hardest thing has been drinking more water. I have to drink slowly as water makes me kinda nauseous (weird huh?), I feel it sloshing around in my stomach and I am currently considering taking permanent residence in the bathroom.
    On a more exciting note, I am planning on adding some humor to this sorta depressing blog... not quite sure what that's gonna look like as most POTS humor is not found humorous by non-POTS patients. Maybe it will make you laugh even if you don't understand. I will be expecting comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment