Friday, August 6, 2010

Acting like there are no symptoms...

    I realize I have not yet put up a complete list of symptoms for POTS so I thought this would be the perfect time. You can learn more about the affects of POTS while also learning more about why I am the way I am. Here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to list symptoms along with a comment or two and a rating from 1-10 (10 being worst) of how I am affected by each symptom. For those of you who know me you may not think of me as an actor but when have you been able to look at me and see how sick I really feel? I'm a better actor than you thought.

light-headedness or a spacey feeling = 8
    This mainly comes on upon standing. Those few seconds where I start to blackout and feel faint-ish.
dizziness = 3
    Sometimes watching movies where the camera moves around a lot or a lot of action.
fainting/near fainting = 8
    I have not fainted but I have come really close a few times...those were not good times.
dimming of vision = 4
    This really only happens when I stand up for a few short seconds.
nausea = 10
    Nausea is by far my number one worst symptom. It's loyal, it never leaves my side.
fatigue = 9
    Feeling too tired to get up but not tired enough to sleep. See also Frustration!
exercise intolerance = 7
    It's hard to exercise when that is the one main thing that makes you sick. It's a balance.
muscle aches = 5
    Who knew your muscles could ache without even working out?
headaches/migraines = 7
    I get these quite often. The really bad ones can lead to extreme extreme nausea. Not fun.
tachycardia = 6
    For those of you who don't know what this is it is when your heart starts beating rapidly or violently.
palpitations = 4
    For those of you who don't know what this is it is when your heart starts beating abnormally.
weakness = 8
    I am incredibly weak. If anyone ever attacked me I would die.
shakiness = 7
    I can get really shaky when my POTS is bad. Even when it's not visible I can feel it.
clamminess = 9
    Shaking hands is always awkward. Good thing I never had a boyfriend.
anxiety = 7
    I have definitely worried a lot more since I got POTS.
shortness of breath = 6
    I'm not sure if most of my shortness of breath is from POTS or asthma.
mental confusion such as: brain fog, trouble staying on task, remembering, and finding the right words  to say, difficulty concentrating = 8
    The last too are the worst, and you can imagine how much I like to find the right words.
chest pain or chest tightness = 3
    This comes and goes but it's never serious.
Gastrointestinal problems = 7
    Not sure if it's anything real major but eating no longer has pleasure...
sleeping disorders = 5
    Lack of sleep can instantly take my day running down hill.
lower back pain = 7
    This is especially unhelpful when I'm too sick to get out of bed.
excessive fatigue = 9
    I am exhausted all the time. Sitting up exhausts me.
intolerance to heat = 10
    I can be outside for all of two minuets but even in that short time my nausea can double.
light and noise sensitivity = 2
    As much as I love music, I love being able to listen to it without my eardrums hurting.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alyssa - love your blog! Especially enjoyed the "humor" section... and I hear ya on the clamminess! Haha, I use a disclaimer. "My hands are always like this."

    I'm get to meet Dr. Grubb in Toledo this week. Yay! Have you seen him before? I'm hoping he can help level out my POTS symptoms. Unexpected fatigue is SO not glamorous.

    Anyway, take care. I'm a fan!

    emma

    http://emma-stronger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete